Birding in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park - The ancient rainforest of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park…
Congo Nile Trail – The Hiking Experience
The two hundred and twenty seven kilometers hike includes many delights such as coffee and tea route with twelve coffee washing stations and three tea factory, quiet natural beaches and austere beauty of Rubona bay. Along the way you’ll discover community, banana and coffee plantation, three beautiful lakeside towns, hundred of wooden bridges, and of course aligned typical African villages and thousands of miles.
Welcome to the Congo Nile Trail.
“Birding the Western Rwanda Corridor”
When talking about Congo Nile Trail, most people can’t even point them out on a map. When deciding for hiking destinations, most people have in mind the Kilimanjaro trail in Tanzania or The Eagle Creek trail in Oregon, USA.
We would advise you the Congo Nile Trail, the best hiking destination, and you will be overwhelmed by the beauty and unique scenery, you will never forget.
- At the doortstep to the incredible Nyugwe National Park, Africa’s largest rain forest.
- Walk along the Lake Kivu shores through the coffee, banana and tea plantation.
- Breathe clean air, swim crystal clear water and a see million stars at night!
- Enjoy hiking, biking, 4×4 driving , wildlife and sightseeing
- Relax while orphan of Mugonero entertain you withb typical Rwandan traditioinal dance.
- Ride a bike to the top of Congo Nile divide and spend the day at 2630m altitude.
- Try catching fish(Tilapia) at Balirwa bay and enjoy the local food while interacting with local people.
- Escape to Nkombo Island to discover the unique culture of the Nkombo residents, the biggest island in the Rwandan side of Lake Kivu.
- A destination to quiet your mind and regenerate your spirit.
|Hiking, Cycling and 4×4 driving
|Gisenyi,. Kibuye and Kamembe
|Best May through September
|Gisenyi Tourism Information Centre
|Congo Nile Trail Map
|North to South
The Hiking Experience
Gisenyi, Rubavu District, the starting point of the Congo Nile Trail, is one of the five districts in the Western Province linked by the trail. It features the a resort on the shores lof Lake Kivu, with several hotels and sandy beaches. The area is best for watersports activities.
The incredible Congo Nile journey will take you to a number of different amazing tourism attractions like the roadside coffee and tea plantations with endless views, waterfalls and watershed.
Crossing 5 Western Province’s districts, With more than eight amazing base camps and accommodation facilities, three bonus sub trails which offers diverse experiences, breath taking scenic views and a thousands of kids smiles makes up a hiking lifetime experience!
The sub trails
Pfunda sub trail(tea agri based experience)
Distance: 30 kms
Hiking days: 2
Rating: Easy to moderate
Elevation: -low point:1460m
-high point: 1710m
Cumulative gain; 250m
Hiking Days: 2
Elevation: -low point: 1460m
-high point: 2000m
Cumulative gain: 200m
The Congo Nile Trail
Come and discover one of Africa’s most beautiful region while interacting and benefiting the local community.
The trail offers a thousand amazing options, depending on you time and budget.
From one day to 10 days full experience
Cycling and 4×4 driving
Some people prefer to experience the Congo Nile Trail by a combined Hiking, cycling, boat ride or 4×4 drive.