Rwenzori Mountains National Park
Mt Rwenzori National Park gets her name from a prominent feature in the Albertine rift valley region; the block Mountain Rwenzori worldly known as –the Mountains of the Moon. She lies on western side of Uganda forming the border boundary with DR Congo a few kilometres from the Equator line. Top of the Rwenzori; Margherita at 5109m is the third highest in Africa and known world over for permanent snow despite being in African tropics known for hot temperatures.
The steep and rugged sides of the mountain have vegetation of all stages starting with savannah grassland on the floor of the rift valley generating into grassland woodland, moorland, bamboo and rich and moist alpine forest. This is a habitat for lots of mammal, birds, reptile, insects and other species though because of the steep and rugged terrain it is often hard to see mammals save for monkeys atop trees by the trail system. For this reason, the safaris into Rwenzori Mountains are ideal for the adventure travellers seeking to do hiking, nature walks, mountaineering and sightseeing rather than for travellers in search of big herds of mammals roaming anywhere anyhow. The 9 days / 8 nights circuit hike to the snow capped Marghareta peak 5,110m is one of the most beautiful on the planet, does not necessarily need prior mountain climbing experiences and offers a lengthy time to interact with and get very personal with nature and Africa.
Introduction to the Rwenzori mountains.
We love the ambitious well-organized landscapes on the top of the mountain, the flourishing, well looking and attractive vegetation, the ice snowcapped peaks mention it all. Mountain Rwenzori is quite an amazing attraction that no one should endeavor to miss at one point in his or her itinerary while having his safari to Uganda.
However amazing this mountain may be, it is also quite tire sum on the other hand because it involves hiking to reach the summit which is not an easy thing just as you hear it.
Mountain Rwenzori has got attractions that have attracted tourists and these include; the green and well looking vegetation, lakes, rocks, cliffs, glaciers ice snow mention it all. All these have rapidly attracted a number of people from whole over the world hence bringing in a lot of income to the government and helping the people around.
Some of the activities done on the mountains include; trekking, hiking, biking and so on.
The Rwenzori mountains are a chain of dormant volcanoes in East Africa. They are located on the borders of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo with Rwanda to their south. These peaks may not match taller mountains else where in the world but they offer some spectacular scenery and wild life viewing opportunities.
Introduction to the Rwenzori Mountains
Have a look at the Trekking in the Rwenzori Mountains.
The Rwenzori mountains have got over 2 types of hiking experiences and these include; the high altitude and low altitude. The high-altitude trekking can take you over 4 to 12 days to hike to the summit and most of the times, it goes beyond 4000meters reaching to the peak.
Alternatively, we also have the low altitude which goes for 2 to 4 days to hike to the summit of the mountain. This trek can never go beyond 4000m to reach the peak.
For one to enjoy his or her picnic adventure experience in Uganda, he or she can decide to make a combination of his safari with other safari destinations such as the national parks in the western area. These include; kibale national park, queen Elizabeth national park and finally Bwindi impenetrable national park. All these will make your safari memorable one.
However, still the Rwenzori mountain can be visited alone with out combining it with other safaris and at the end it can make your journey so amazing. Therefore, do not hesitate or be afraid of booking this safari incase it is your favorite.
While on mountain Rwenzori, do not get worried of where you will spend your overnight, a solution has been put up by constructing wooden huts along the trails to the mountain. More to your surprise, the huts are all ensuite with water, toilets and beddings inside all to make these tourists feel comfortable and feel as if they are in homes away from their original home.
Margherita peak with a height of over 5109m is the highest peak of mountain Stanley. This peak has got a habitant known as the Rwenzori mountain. This is an amazing and very impressing peak to one who would like to hike and reach the summit of the mountain. However, it is quite tire sum to hike and reach its summit. Therefore, it needs thorough preparations, equipment’s for one to be successful such as the hiking sticks, water proof shoes, huts, water for drinking, a guide with a first aid kit, a ranger to lift you mention it all. A client who has decided to hike to the summit of this mountain, this requires him or her almost 7 days to each the peak.
A snapshot of the mountains.
In 1994, the Rwenzori mountains were recognized as a world a heritage and also as well as a Ramsar site in 2008.Alternatively, this mountain was also gazzeted as a national park in 1991.Mountain Rwenzori is a very important, amazing and useful mountain in the whole of central Africa. The name mountain Rwenzori simply means rain maker.
Since the Rwenzori mountains were translated as the rain makers, this came up as a proof that the lower slopes received a lot of rain fall over 3 meters of rain fall every year which made the vegetation to look ice, heathering and beautiful attracting every one ho would come to the mountain. More so the rain fall led to an increased ice snow on the summit.
However, the decrease of glaciers still continued for over all the last hundred years. This was all because of the climate change that was taking place in the area. But, still this did not stop the hike lovers from hiking over the mountain during the rainy season despite the sliding slopes, muddy roads to have a glance at the ice walls, snow at the summit.
Trekking in the Rwenzori Mountains
Hiking Rwenzori At a Glance
While trekking on mountain Rwenzori, we always recommend our clients to use foot. Our clients are required to be strong, physically fit and health wise in order to help you be successful while hiking.
Margherita peak is the highest peak which was recognized as a tricky and tire sum hike. However, this does not mean that you need to be an expert in order to reach the summit. The only required thing here is to have some experience with you of hiking.
As a company, we always recommend our clients to take packages starting from 12 days and above. These packages are long and they therefore help the clients to get used to the hike, enjoy his or her safari hike and then lastly avoid several risks of sicknesses while on the mountain. Alternatively, these days will give you a chance to perform all your favorable activities including birding among those to the bird lovers. Assistance has been given to the clients who come from far by extending the routes nearer to their ways. This has helped them to also have a chance a hike the mountain hence enjoying and having a adventure experience by having a glance on the beautiful stunning views of the ice snow on the summit of the mountain.
The trekking routes.
Mountain Rwenzori has got two trekking circuits that help the clients to reach the Rwenzori peaks. These circuits include the central circuit and the southern circuit. Among these routes, we have the southern circuit which was out of Kilembe.
This circuit was followed first by professor Scott Elliot and that was in 1895.Secondly, we have got the central circuit which was out of Nyakalengija.
This circuit was discovered by Luigi di Savoia in 1906 and more so, this was the circuit that was known and used by most clients to show way to the mountain ranges.
At Adventure in the wild Safaris, we advise our clients to use the southern circuit. This is because, this is the only circuit we organize. This circuit gives the most charming, amazing and impressing beautiful views of the landscapes on the mountain.
Things To Know & Might Be Looking For
Which Trek Is Right For Me?
Uganda the pearl of Africa has got several attractions such as the trekking routes and destinations. Among these include hiking mountain Elgon, Kilimanjaro and so many others. However, mountain Rwenzori is always the best mountain and most loved mountain by most clients to hike to its summit. This is because it has got several trekking routes and trails that lead to the summit.
Mountain Rwenzori has been so special among all the mountains that are hiked. This mountain has got longer and several routes that help clients to reach the summit. These longer routes help clients to get used to the hiking and therefore this helps clients to avoid a number of sicknesses while on the mountain.
The trekking packages range from 2 to 12 days. However, you can decide to choose a trek of more days in order to enjoy your safari. The following are the examples of how mountain Rwenzori can fit in your safari to Uganda. These Uganda safaris can either be booked directly or indirectly depending on the choice of the client.
A shortest trek to add on to my safari.
Adventure in the wild safaris has tried to help you out by choosing for you the best treks that you can easily combine with your Rwenzori safari in order to get a perfect safari trekking for you. Since queen Elizabeth national park, kibale national park are the nearest parks to this mountain, we choose to make these combinations to the Rwenzori mountain in order to make a perfect safari destination.
Incase you are looking for small itineraries starting from 2 to 5days to add to your safari to make it a perfect one, the Rwenzori mountain has got several options of these. As the company, we have designed itineraries that will make your safari an amazing one. 2 days, maximum altitude 2,596 m having a look at the Rwenzori mountains. 3 days, maximum altitude 3,174 m 3 days Rwenzori mountains. 4 days, maximum altitude 3,975m climbing the Mutinda lookout. 4 days, maximum altitude 3,174 m water falls of the Rwenzori mountain. 5 days, max altitude 4,620 m The trekking to Weismann’s peak.
In case you would like to stretch your legs by making several exercises, here is a chance for hiking the highest mountain with almost the highest altitude and this is none other than mountain Rwenzori. While on this mountain, you will get a chance to see several routes and treks hence making it your best safari.
The hike to the highest point of margherita peak is quite tire sum and requires tackling of snow intruder to reach the summit. Therefore, the total hike to the summit requires technical equipment’s for one to use while hiking and these include; crampons, ropes and so many others.
Since the day we began our trekking’s and hikes, we have managed to make over 98 percent of the hiking and trekking safaris successfully where by during this time, clients have managed to hike and reach to the final destination. In this case, our clients do not even need to use crampons or ropes in order to help them hike, we have got trained guides and rangers who really know what they are doing. Therefore, these guides help out the clients to reach their final destinations of hiking to the summit.
NOTE: Incase you would like to hike up to the summit of margherita peak, you approximately need a minimum of 7 days in order to be satisfied and get your picnic adventure experience. The following are some of the popular high-altitude routes one needs to take in order to get a successful safari. 10 days, maximum altitude 5,109m Four peaks. 10 days, maximum altitude 5,109m Hiking Margherita peak. 12 days, maximum altitude 5,109m Ultimate Rwenzori trekking. 7 days, maximum altitude 4,842m Climbing mountain Baker.
A standalone trek.
Mountain Rwenzori safari is regarded as a standalone trek where by most clients come mainly to hike, up to the summit, trek some primates and this is all they need for their trip to be the best. However, most people prefer combining the safari with other destinations in the western area such as queen Elizabeth, kibale national park and so on in order to make it a perfect safari. Alternatively, people can also decide to move out of Uganda to perform in order to enjoy their weekends.
However, incase you are only interested in visiting mountain Rwenzori only and there is nothing else that you need to add in your itinerary, its your choice and it is very okay. However, may be other destinations you may choose. Remember, hiking needs being healthy, physically fit and so on.
For more information, you need to keep in touch with our company Adventure in the wild safaris in order to make the right packages for you.
Guides and Sustainable Tourism
The guides in our company are fully trained and prepared in order to do their job perfectly. They always hike several mountains in order to perfect themselves. These guides are trained how to give first aid and rescue some clients who have go emergences on their way to the trekking summit.
These guides are taught how to be quick, keep people’s equipment’s and save people’s lives at the same time.
From all the money that is collected from the clients who come to hike to the mountain, only 5 dollars is removed and used to construct the trails in the community, protect national parks construct school and so on. All this helps to give out the importance and significance of tourism.
Rwenzori Mountain FAQs
What is the difference between high and low altitude treks?
The only difference here is that the during the high altitude, we have packages ranging from 5 up wards trekking to the Weizmann’s peak. while for the low altitude, we have packages from 3 to 4 days.
NOTE: All these treks and packages get to margherita, mountain Baker, mountain Speke and so on.
All the high-altitude trekking need you to use some equipment’s in order to hike to the summit.
How long is a typical day trekking?
Once you decide to go trekking in mountain Rwenzori, you approximately need a period of 7 to 8 hours or even more incase the primates are not seen. More so, you will need to cover a distance of 7km to 9.5km every day you wake up to start your safari. The time taken to trek depends on the distance that is between the camps and the trekking area.
In case you would like to continue hiking and reach the summit of the mountain, it will take you too long to arrive there and therefore this will also finally lead to an increase in the time of trekking for example, it will take you over 10 to 14 hours.
Are the treks technical? Do you need to bring any specialized equipment?
No, the treks are not so much technical as such more so the low altitude climbs. Therefore a client does need special equipment’s such as the crampons and ropes for him or her to hike.
For more information about what is needed here in order to get a successful safari, go to our guide for kit list below.
All the hikes on this mountain Rwenzori do not require any technical requirement to hike. However there is an exceptional of the high altitude treks which needs technical climbs and only on the final day because her the clients are too tired and so exhausted with the hike. There fore in this they need something to support them. This technical hike usually happens on the 6 th day of the second last day of your safari almost arriving at the peak.
NOTE; Crampons, ropes, sticks are usually the technical requirements that are found in the technical section. Remember, all these are provided for our clients once they arrive on the mountain for trekking and hiking.
How much experience is required?
The experience here is usually required by the clients who are going for a hike on the high altitudes of mountain Rwenzori and are using several routes to reach the summit.
The clients who always make it on the summit more so on the high altitudes, do not need too much experience while on the lower slopes. This is because the hardest part on the hiking is always on the higher altitude.
The Rwenzori mountain trails and routes are too long hence giving a chance to the clients to get used the safari. This will help clients to get used to the journey and hence it will help them to avoid several sicknesses while hiking.
Alternatively, people have also gone for the Kilimanjaro hike which takes them over 4 to 5 days to reach the peak. This is too risky, because the client will not get chance to understand the journey and get used to it. There fore, the risks of sicknesses here is increased because it will be a rapid safari.
Incase you wake up and have a mindset of hiking to the margherita peak, you should be well prepared with all the equipment’s to use while hiking such as the crampons, ropes and so on, you should be healthy and energyetic, physical fitness and so on in order to avoid sicknesses and other challenges while their. We always advice you to get all this because the summit is quite higher and it’s a long journey too.
In case it happens that you do not have the technical equipment’s to help you hike but you wish to hike to one of the mountains, there is an optional of mountain Stanley . This is not too tire sum to clients to hike like the margherita peak. This hike will give you a chance to see the beautiful stunning views of Congo, rides on the mountain Speke, mountain Baker and so on.
What safety precautions are taken? What training do the guides have?
This mountain is located along the borders of Uganda and the Democratic republic of Congo where the Uganda Peoples Defense Forces is located. These people give protection to the park. Alternatively, the mountain has got the Uganda wild life Authority rangers who have continued to protect the park from the poachers that come in.
The guides on the mountain Rwenzori have been trained how to climb several mountains by following all the several routes their. They have also been trained how to give first aid to the causalities on the mountain who have got sicknesses and accidents. These guides have been trained how to rescue people who are in danger and how to save their lives.
More so, the guides have been give a simple course and have been trained some courses such as the birding, rock hiking, how to give care to the clients, nature interpretation and so many others. All these have helped them to deal with several clients who come.
All the guides have acquired first aid training and complete regular re-fresher courses.
Mountain Rwenzori has remained on point and a standalone trek because of its guides and staff who have continued to make more research by finding the new routes in the mountain and also trying to maintain the original ones that were their before hence giving access to the clients coming in.
Our guides on mountain Rwenzori are so experienced in that some of them are specialist doctors, they are trained and so loving in that they can mean to leave business aside and rescue a trek which they see that it is not safe for the clients lives to pass as they hike.
What equipment is provided? Is the equipment safe?
Most of the equipment’s such as the technical gears are imported from the United states of America. These gears include: ropes, ice screws, ice axes, harnesses, and crampons.
Since the crampons are always are very much needed, we advise our clients to carry their own while coming. However, you can also come with money and higher because they are always available.
All the treks reaching the highest point margherita have got gears such as the ropes, harnesses, caribinas, ice axes, ice screws, helmets, rubber boots to mention but a few.
While starting your safari to the mountain, you need to hire sleeping bags which will help you when you are preparing to sleep. These sleeping bags cost over 15 dollars.
Our staff always uses equipment’s know as the diamond strap on the crampons. All these equipment’s work out very well.
Is their electricity in the camps?
No, there is no electricity in the camps. However, the camps have got solar panels that help the clients in charging of their phones and other gadgets. For example, at Sine Camp, Kalalama, Hunwick’s, Kiharo and Margherita camps.
Alternatively, forest view camp has got solar that is only used at night and only lighting outside for security not inside.
As the money increases from the clients who come to trek, all the accommodations and the services, infrastructure will all be improved. So no worries about all this.
How is drinking water carried up the mountain?
When coming at the mountain ranges for a safari, you are reminded to carry your purifiers to purify the water for drinking. This is because the water is just got from the water streams and this means this is not ready for drinking. That’s why you have to carry your own bottle and the purifier to make it pure for you to drink.
NOTE: This does not mean that the park does not boil water for the clients, The water is only boiled at night mainly for coffee and tea but still you can put into your bottles and fill them preparing yourself for tomorrow.
What are the meals like?
The Rwenzori mountain has got hotels around which have restaurants with well trained staff that provides all the needed and ordered nice meals to its clients. All these meals served are filled up with all the vitamins and nutrients that are meant to keep the client safe and provide energy to the clients which energy helps them during the hiking to go for trekking.
Alternatively, the trained staff also has a side catering the looks after those clients with special needs such as those with heart attacks, allergies, heartburns mention it all by providing to them special foods that will make them feel good and prevent those diseases.
As a client, you are reminded and always recommended to carry simple packed snacks with you while on your safari for trekking. This will help you to remain focused and energyetic hence perfect work at the end.
Below is a list of foods served in the mountains:
Dinner: pumpkin, rice, meat, Irish potatoes chicken, spaghetti, pasta, mush rooms, noodles, mixed vegetables, kraft cheese and Cheddar cheese, tomato soups, peas with mixed vegetables, beans with mixed vegetables, onion.
Breakfast; Chicken sausages, Beef sausages, bacon, potato patties, eggs, bread, toast, milk, oat/millet/rice porridge, teas, coffee, hot chocolate, pancakes with syrup, baked beans on toast.
Lunches: Chicken salad sandwich, cheese, green pepper, and tomato sandwich, all types of juice such as (apple , mango, passion, avocado mention it all, tuna salad sandwich, potato salad, egg sandwich, chapati and jam, vegetables including tomatoes, onions, French beans, cabbage and lastly eggplants.
Are there mosquitoes? It is known that the Rwenzori mountains receive a lot of rains and there fore they are too cold. This condition supports the breeding of mosquitoes which cause malaria. Therefore, this means you need to carry with you an insect repellent to kill those mosquitoes.
Is there a risk of altitude sickness?
Hiking of mountain Rwenzori gives you an advantage of spending more time and days on the hike. This helps to get used to the hiking and avoid several sicknesses that people face while hiking mountains of over 4000m high.
In case you would like to enjoy your safari to margherita peak, you are advised to choose a package of over 8 and above days. These days will help you to get used to the hiking and then lastly prevent you from a number of sicknesses.
However, it is also possible that you can reach margherita summit with 7 days. But this is not always recommended because it is quite tire sum and does not give enough time to get used to the journey hence leading to an increased number of sickness.
For more information and questions about the risks and sicknesses got on the Rwenzori mountains, contact our company Adventure in the wild safaris on www.gorillaugandasafaris.com.
What is the accommodation like?
There are no more worries about the accommodations around the Rwenzori mountains. This is because this was solved by constructing small huts which are all ensuite with water inside, showers, beds, toilets mention it all.
NOTE; Remember, among the rooms that are built on this mountain, there are no twin rooms and single rooms. This is because the accommodations were constructed as they were minimizing their effects on the environment. However, clients are advised to carry their sleeping bags as they travel to Uganda for a safari more so on mountain Rwenzori.
For more information about the huts in mountain Rwenzori, you can have a glance below.
Do the treks run in groups, or on a private basis?
This is a commonly asked question; we organize all the types of treks both group treks and individual treks. It all depends on how many you are, and the number of days you have. For the groups, we always organize them in a number of 8 each group where by each group is allocated a certain a gorilla family to trek. You are briefed by the trained guide and then you enter t start trekking. The individual can also get to the park headquarters be briefed and then directed to the jungle to start the trekking.
For bookings, you are advised to book earlier enough because the permits get can done easily and still you may ask for a date that has been already booked. Therefore, that is the reason as to why you are advised to book earlier enough.
Where are the Rwenzori Mountains?
Mountain Rwenzori is located in south western part of Uganda just on the border of democratic republic of Congo. This mountain is also just located near kibale national park, and queen Elizabeth national park. It also covers over a length of 71 miles on the border. This mountain has got a lot glaciers, snow, and ice around its peak which have attracted a number of people.
Why are the Rwenzori’s called the mountains of the moon?
Mountain Rwenzori was named the mountains of the moon simply because of their snowcapped whiteness. This report was put across by the Greek and the roman geographers most notably by Ptolemy who produced maps that showed the locations of the mountains.
What are the highest mountain range in Uganda?
Mountain Rwenzoris are so far the highest mountain ranges in Uganda. Margherita peak of 5109m is the highest point located within the mountain ranges. Alternatively, we also have Mountain Stanley. Mountain Rwenzori has got over 3 notable peaks and these include: Mountain Baker (4,842m), Weismman’s peak and lastly Mountain Speke (4,890m).
Rwenzori Hiking Kit List.
Hiking Kit In Low Altitude
- Very light shorts and T-shirts, which help you and prevent you from over being burnt by heat while trekking.
- Remember to carry your sweater or long-sleeved clothes to help you from the coldness at night and in the morning.
- Remember to carry ice and light trousers to help you during trekking.
- Remember to carry a warm jacket to also help you during the cold weather.
- Remember to carry with you a rain coat to help you when the weather abruptly changes.
- Remember to carry water proof trousers.
- Carry a hat with you to help prevent you from direct sunlight and the cold weather in he evening.
- Carry gloves to keep your hands warm and also protect you from the biting insects and itching branches.
- Remember to carry water proof ad hiking shoes.
- Remember to also carry water proof gumboots to help you hike the sliding mountains.
- Long sleeved socks to keep you warm.
- Remember to carry rubber boots with you and mainly for the children.
- A client should remember to carry a light bag which is big enough to carry your own gear on the mountain. Do not be worried about who will lift the luggage for you while on a safari. We always have porters who will help to carry for you.
- You will need to carry a bottle with you to help carry your drinking water while hiking, carry a lunch box to help you pack your food and go with it while hiking.
- Be aware of the ever-changing weather around the mountain. Therefore, remember to carry a rain jacket and a sweater to help you during coldness and during the rainy season.
- Remember to pack all the equipment’s you need to use all your day. Pack in a water proof bag to help keep all your things safe.
- Carry either shining oil or lip shiner to avoid your lips from over drying.
- Remember to carry a strong torch with you to help you during the night when the electricity has gone. This is because you may find other places are so local.
- Remember to carry water tablets for treatment to help you on your way once you get accidents or abrupt sickness.
- Never hesitate to carry drinking water with you from the lodge, this is because the water is safe and boiled by the staff safe for your life.
- Remember to carry your self with other unused spare bags to help keep your luggage clean, dry and safe.
- Carry with you a washing kit, and a clean towel to help in cleaning.
- Remember to carry a first Aid kit box with almost a biggest percentage of medicine such as the paracetamols, pain killers, orals and so on.
- Remember to carry with you some fruits to help add some energy to the clients.
Hiking Kit In High Altitude
- Remember to carry nice light shirts and shorts to help you during the summer at the beginning of the trekking.
- Remember to carry long sleeved shirts or sweaters to help you during the wet season when it gets cold.
- Remember to carry long trousers and jeans to help give you warmth during the cold days.
- Carry a jacket with you to help you during the cold days.
- Remember to carry many thermal under wears with you.
- Remember to carry water proof jackets and trousers to help you during the trekking.
- Remember to carry warm rain jackets to help you during the rain season.
- Carry a hut to help you from the direct sunlight.
- Remember to pack and carry a pair of gloves with you to help you from the itching grass and the bad weather such as to much coldness and hotness.
- Remember to carry water proof and quality boots for hiking the mountain.
- Carry with you aside the light walking shoes to help your feet not to get too heated while hiking.
- Carry at least 2 or more pairs of socks for changing in while on hiking safari.
- Remember to carry your own crampons to help you during the summit days.
- (min rating of 4 seasons) Remember to carry a nice and strong sleeping bag.
- Carry with you a soft light but big bag to help carry your own personal gear.
- Remember to also carry a bag with all your luggage that will help you during the day till you get back to the lodge. Among these include, lunch box, drinking water bottle, jacket, camera mention it all.
- Among the things you are packing, carry a water proof protective bag to keep all your luggage safe and dry.
- Carry sun glasses to help you from the direct sunlight once you are taking photos during your safari.
- Remember to carry a strong head torch with you with spare batteries to help you during the night when the lights are off. To also help you in the remote areas where there is no electricity.
- Carry bottles of water at least a three-litter water bottle to help you during the trekking.
- Remember to carry water treatment tablets to help you during your safari. Also carry drinking water which is boiled by your hotel to help you during your safari. We always recommend this water because it is safe and boiled.
- Remember to keep you luggage in the water proof plastic bags to keep them safe always.
- Remember to always keep your kit clean by washing it with a dry clean small towel.
- Keep yourself always with a first aid kit box to keep you safe from the small risks of diseases and injuries. Some of the equipment’s in this box include the paracetamol, the pain killers, bandages mention it all.
- Remember to carry yourself with fruits to give you more energy while trekking.
Accommodations in the Rwenzori Mountain
Accommodation At A Glance
Once you are choosing the best place and hostel where you can begin your trek from, have a look at the Rwenzori trekkers hostel. This is a well renovated copper mining building which is located in Kyanjuki village just 12 km from the kasese city. This has got very beautiful stunning views of the Rwenzori mountains which has got a very attractive climate that is from January to February.
Alternatively, you can choose to stay on the sand ton hotel which is located in kasese city. You will the continue with your journey to Kilembe Trail where you will be arriving by 8 am very early in the morning. Before you go for the trekking, you will first be briefed by the guides and then get to the sine camp where the trekking begins. While on the mountain, do not get worried about the accommodations or where to stay when it gets dark o the way, The mountain has got accommodations which are constructed in form of wooden huts that have got bunk beds inside with toilets outside the huts. Some of these huts are meant to keep the equipment’s used while hiking very good weather conditions
Huts in the Rwenzori mountains (Cheat Sheet)
Places To Rest During Hiking In Rwenzori
There is a common fact about these camps located on the Rwenzori mountain. All these camps have got wooden cabins, bucket showers and toilets outside the sleeping huts.
Similira Camp (3170m).
- How many cabins are found on the similira camp? The similira camp has got over 3 cabins.
- How many beds are in each hut? Each of the 2 huts has got 8 beds, and the third one has got a total number of almost 3 beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each of the first 2 huts has got bunk beds and then the third hut has got only single rooms.
- Are al these rooms in the huts ensuite? No, some of the rooms have got their toilets outside from where they sleep.
- In which form are all the toilets in the huts made? All the toilets are made of long drop.
- What type of showers does each of the huts have? Each of the showers has got a bucket shower to use. In case a client requests for hot water, it is heated for him or her.
- What type of vegetation zone does each camp possess? Each camp possesses montane forest zone.
- How do the views from the camp look like? The camp has got very beautiful stunning views of some parts of Kilembe, queen Elizabeth national park, the surrounding mountains and then lake George.
- Is there any thing that is really amazing and interesting around the area? Yes, the area has got a small lobelia garden just right above the camp.
- Do the camps have electricity? No, the camps have got neither electricity nor solar panels with in their rooms.
- How many cabins does the Kiharo camp have are? Kiharo camp has got over 4 cabins.
- How many beds in every cabin? Each of the 3 cabins has got 8 beds, and the 4th one has got one double bed for couples.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each of the first three huts has got bunk beds and then the 4th hut has got double beds.
- Are all these rooms ensuite? No, some of the rooms have got their toilets outside from where they sleep.
- In which form are all the toilets in the huts made? All the toilets are made of long drop.
- What type of showers does each hut have? Each of the showers has got a Bucket shower to use. Therefore, incase a client asks for hot water, it is heated for him or her.
- What type of vegetation zone does each camp possess? Each camp possesses montane forest zone.
- How do the views from the camp look like? The camp has got very beautiful stunning views of some parts of Nyamwamba valley and the twin peaks. More so, the camp has got several species of birds around and water falls which are over 20m from the camp and so many others.
- Is there anything that is really amazing and interesting around the area? Yes, the area has got a small lobelia garden and beautiful waterfalls which are just 20m away from the camp.
- Are the camps connected with electricity? No, the camps do not have electricity but they have got solar panels which are strong over 240v inverters. There fore clients are free to do what they want such as charging their phones, laptops and so on.
Mutinda Camp (358m).
- How many cabins does the Mutinda camp have? Mutinda camp has got over 3 cabins.
- How many beds in every cabin? Each cabin has got 8 beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each of the huts has got bunk beds.
- Are all these rooms ensuite? No, some of the rooms have got their toilets outside from where they sleep.
- In which form are all the toilets in the huts made? All the toilets are made of long drop.
- What type of showers does each hut have? Each of the showers has got a Bucket shower to use. Therefore, in case a client asks for hot water, it is heated for him or her.
- What type of vegetation zone does each camp possess? Each camp possesses a combination of heather and Afro Alpine zones.
- How do the views from the camp look like? The camp has got very beautiful stunning views of some parts of Mulyambuli valley and Mutinda just above the camp. Alternatively, you can get to see the beautiful streams rotating around the valley, and the couple of the peaks which were not summited before.
- Is there anything that is really amazing and interesting around the area? Yes, the area has got a nice and beautiful stunning view of Mutinda camp.
- Are the camps connected with electricity? No, the camp has neither electricity nor solar panels at all.
- How many cabins are found in the Kalalama camp? The Kalama camp has got over 2 cabins.
- How many beds are in each hut? One of the huts has got 8 beds and the second hut has got three beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? The first hut has got bunk beds and the 2nd cabin has got 3 single beds.
- Are all these rooms ensuite? No all the toilets are found just outside the sleeping huts.
- In which form are all the toilets constructed? All the toilets are made of long-drop.
- What type of showers does each of the huts have? Each of the showers has got a bucket shower to use. In case a client needs hot water, you can boil it to him or her.
- What type of vegetation does this camp have? The camp has got the heather zone vegetation.
- How do the views from the camp look like? The camp has got very beautiful views starting from the Kalalama. Alternatively, you can also have views of the Kilembe town, parts of Queen Elizabeth National Park, Lake Edward, and Lake George. Alternatively, you can see the You can also have a glance at the peaks like Rutamaguvu and Mutinda hence having the best Safari.
- Is there anything that is really interesting around the area? Yes, you can get to see the large heather trees.
- Does the camp have electricity? No, the camp does not electricity, but it has got solar panels which help in charging phones, laptops and cameras.
Sine Hut (2596m).
- How many cabins are found on the Sine hut? The Sine hut has got 4 cabins.
- How many beds are found in each hut? Each of the 3 huts has got 8 beds and then the last one has 10 beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each of the huts has got Bunk beds.
- Are all these rooms ensuite? No, the toilets are situated outside the sleeping huts.
- In which form are all the toilets made of? All the toilets are made of long-drop.
- What type of showers does each of the huts have? Each of the showers has got a bucket shower to use. In case of request for heated water by the client, it is done for him or her.
- What type of vegetation does the camp have? The camp has got montane Forest Zone.
- How do the views from this camp look like? The beautiful views of this camp are rare because the camp is constructed under thick trees. However, you can get to see the meandering Mulyambuli river.
- Is there anything that is really amazing ad interesting around the area? Yes, the area has got the Enock Falls which are so interesting.
- Does the camp have electricity? No, the camp does not have electricity but it has solar panels that are used in lighting more so at night.
Bugata Camp ( 4062m)
- How many cabins are found in Bugata camp? Bugata camp has got over 2 cabins.
- How many beds are in each cabin? Each cabin has got 8 beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each hut has got bunk beds.
- Are all the rooms in the huts ensuite? No, the toilets are outside of the sleeping huts.
- In which form are all the toilets in the huts made? Al the toilets are made of long-drop.
- What type of showers does each of the huts have? Each of the showers has got bucket showers to us. In case a client asks for hot water, it is immediately boiled for him or her.
- What type of vegetation zone does Bugata camp have? The Bugata camp has got Afro Alpine.
- How do the views from the camp look like? Bugata camp has got very beautiful stunning views of Nyamugasani valley and the glacial lakes. Alternatively, you can have a glance at the peaks like Keki peak and Mount Luigi di Savoir.
- Is there anything amazing and interesting around the area? Yes, the camp has got the Bugata Lake which has nice looking views.
- Does the camp have electricity? No, the camp has neither electricity nor solar panels.
Butawu Camp and Hunwick’s camp (3974m).
- How many cabins are found on Butawu camp and Hunwick’s camp? Each camp has got 3 cabins.
- How many beds are found in each cabin? Each of the two huts has got 8 bed and 4 beds in the third hut.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? Each hut has got bunk beds, and the 3rd hut has 4 singles.
- Are all these rooms in the huts ensuite? No, some of the rooms have got their toilets outside where they sleep. There for not all rooms are self-contained.
- In which form are all the toilets in the huts made? All the toilets are made of long-drop.
- What type of showers does each of the huts have? Each of the showers has got bucket showers to use. In case a client requests for hot water, it is boiled.
- What type of vegetation does each camp have? Each camp has got Afro-Alpine zone.
- How do the views from the camps look like? The camps have got beautiful stunning views of the Butawu valley that connect to Kitandara and mountain Speke. More so, there are beautiful stunning views of Mountain Luigi de Savoir and Mount Baker with its glacial peaks. You can also get to see the town of the Democratic republic of Congo and soon.
- Is there anything that is really amazing and interesting around the area? No the area per herps has got nothing interesting.
- Do the camps have electricity? No, the camps do not have electricity, but they have solar panels with 240v inverters which help clients to charge your phones, cameras, laptops and so on.
Margherita camp. (4485m)
- How many cabins are found in the Margherita camp? Margherita Camp has got over 3 cabins.
- How many beds are in each cabin? Each of the huts has got 8 beds and the other 3 huts have 4 beds.
- What type of rooms does each hut have? The huts have got Bunk beds.
- Are all these rooms in the huts ensuite? No, some of the rooms have got their toilets outside from where they sleep.
- In which form are all the toilets constructed? All the toilets are made of long-drop.
- What type of showers does each of the hut have? Each of the showers has got a bucket shower to use. In case of request for hot by the client, it is boiled.
- What type of vegetation zone does each camp posses? Each camp has got the Alpine zone of vegetation.
- How do the views from the camp look like? The camp has got very beautiful stunning views of the Kitandara valley, the Kitandara lakes, Elena peaks, mountain Speke and so on.
- Is there anything that is really amazing and interesting around the area? Yes , the area has got beautiful stunning views of the glaciers at Elena peaks, some parts of mountain Speke and Margherita.
- Does the camp have electricity? No, the camp does not have electricity but it has got solar panels at the camp with 240v inverters which can help you charge your phones cameras, laptops and so on.
When to Visit Mountain Rwenzori
Visit Mountain Rwenzori
Visiting of the Rwenzori mountains is done throughout the year. This is because all the days, months, years, the area gas got the sun, plenty of rain fall, ice and snow.
However, the best time for visiting the mountain Rwenzori ranges is during the months of June to early September and then December till February. These are the months when an increased number of clients comes into Uganda to visit the peak.
NOTE: the wetter months of the year, signify the rainy season and then an increased ice and snow o the high altitude hence leading to a reduced number of clients who come to trek. However, those who try and come in trek should be more experienced in the hiking and should remember to come with their ranger guides to rift them in case they have failed.
Trekking in the Rwenzori Mountains, at a glance
Rwenzori mountain has got over two types of climbing experiences and these include; high altitude and low altitude. This mountain is a habitant to the highest peak margherita peak which is over 5109m on mountain Stanley.
High altitude (4000m). This is an experience which take you beyond 4000m and requires you to hike for over 4 to 12 days in order to be successful with your hike.
The low altitude (below 4000m). This is an experience that does not take you beyond 4000m and it requires only 2 to 4 days for you to become successful hiking to the peak.
Most of the clients prefer visiting mountain Rwenzori as the only activity on the package. However, you can also choose to combine your Rwenzori mountain safari with other destinations such as the kibale national park, queen Elizabeth national park, and Bwindi impenetrable national park.
Geography & Geology
Geography & Geology
The Rwenzori ranges were formed as a result of a shift in the earths crust which had happened over 3 million years ago. This shift brought an uplift of the rocks made of gneiss, quartzite and granite.
There is an assumption that these shifts in the tectonic plates pushed the mountain blocks up and then tilted them to form the highest peak of mountain Rwenzori. Mountain Rwenzori is located just along the borders of the Democratic republic of Congo with a with of 65km, and a length of 120km north of lake Edward. Mountain Rwenzori has got the largest ranges so far in Africa. This is because it was formed as from the squeezed tectonic plate movements in the latest epoch of the tertiary.
However, there are other mountains such Kilimanjaro, Kenya and so on. All these mountains are just freely up right making them less strong compared to the mountain ranges.
Rwenzori mountain is made of 6 different mountains. The mountain is located in north of the equator. The highest mountains such as – Mountain Stanley (5,109m), Mountain Speke (4,890m) and Mountain Baker (4,843m). All these mountains have got permanent snow, ice and glaciers. Mountain Rwenzori is also known as rain maker. This is because it receives a lot of rains over 3 m every year. This rain has a lot of significance because it allows the maintenance of snow, and also supports the lakes and rivers around mountain Rwenzori with water hence giving them a mirror shape that attracts a number of clients. Alternatively, the rains fill up the dams created by glacial moraine with water, the streams hence helping people around to survive.
Flora and Fauna
The flora is one of the beautiful stunning views that most clients yearn for while on their safari in Uganda. This flora has continuously over weighed the fauna in terms of the clients visiting the mountain ranges.
While on the mountain Rwenzori ranges, there are several water body sources such as the lakes which give cloud bounds and mirrors that attract a number of clients hence bringing in a lot of income.
The mountain ranges have got temperatures which are below 4000m where by these temperatures normally do not exceed 150C above the freezing point. There fore this has made the plants such as the moss creeps, the gnarled trees and the vegetation look so amazing and heathering to the clients.
The trekking on mountain Rwenzori will take you through several altitudinal vegetation zones. Every zone has got its own micro climate weather, flora and fauna.
The Rwenzori mountain has got over 5 vegetation belts ad these include;
- 1765m to 2600m: Afro montane vegetation zone.
- 2600m – 3000m: Bamboo zone.
- 3000m – 3800m: Heather zone.
- 3800m – 4500m: Moorland (Afro- Alpine zone)
- 4500m+ : Rocky glacier.
The slopes between the 1800m to 2500m are covered by the Afro montane forest slopes and which makes it the highest with the largest number of vegetation. More so, there are trees that have been established which later grow and form a canopy shape with breaks that are always covered up with dense thickets. The dense forests of 2500m to 3000m allow the growth of the bamboo trees. The leaves of the tees cover the whole place hence making flowers grow after 30 years. From 4000m and above, you will enter the heather part of the ranges, the Sphagnum moss and usnea beard lichens cover all the place and the ground is destroyed with coral pink orchids. The water logged areas are filled up with large tussocks. From the 4,000m, the alpine zone welcomes giant groundsel, Senecio adnivalis and the torch lobelia, Lobelia wollastonii. Alternatively, when it goes beyond 4,300m the vegetation starts to shrink until there is nothing more seen apart from the moss, lichen and a few ‘Everlastings’ plants. Alternatively, there are some plants which are above 3,800m. These plants are all the members of world’s rarest botanical communities.
Mountain Rwenzori vegetation zone is a habitant to a number of over 70 species of mammals, 177 bird species and so on. Among the mammals include the elephants, chimpanzees, Rwenzori otters’ leopards and so many others. However, these animals are quite rarely seen these ranges by the clients. Alternatively, the park has got other animals such as the primates and these include colobus Angola, black-and-white monkeys, the blue monkeys which are the only commonly seen primates by the clients and so on.
Mountain Rwenzori has also got several bird species which among these include the Albertine rift endemics that make the Rwenzori ranges very significance place for bird watching. Some of the birds here include; the Rwenzori Turaco, Barred Long-tailed Cuckoo, Long-eared Owl, Handsome Francolin, Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater, Archers’ Robin-chat, White-starred Robin, Rwenzori Batis, Montane Sooty Boubou, Lagden’s Bush Shrike, Slender-billed Starling, fly catchers, Blue-headed Sunbird, Golden-winged Sunbird, Strange Weaver and several varieties of Barbets, Greenbuls, Apalises, IIladopsis and so many others.
Getting to the Rwenzori Mountains
Kasese city is so far the nearest city to mountain Rwenzori. This town can be easily reached by either flights from the Entebbe airport which departs at 7am and arrives at 12 :30 pm, this flight will take you over one hour to arrive in kasese. However, you can also use road transport which will take you over 6 to 8 hours to reach the place.
Alternatively, a client can arrive in mountain Rwenzori by using a bus. This bus departs from Kampala to kasese and it costs over 50,000 Ugandan shillings only to reach the city.
NOTE: For the client who would like to travel to this mountain, we recommend them to use link bus or Kalita bus. All these buses will take a total time of over 10 hours to reach your final destination. Incase you book with us, an offer of all the transfers is organized for you at a free cost.